What is Dilaudid?
Dilaudid is an opioid pain medication used for treating pain and any other conditions as determined by the doctor. Being a controlled substance, Dilaudid is available only with a proper prescription from a doctor. You can purchase the medicine from a chemist shop near you, or you can order Dilaudid online. If ordering the medication is comfortable for you, you can reap some heavy discounts on your order.
How to take Dilaudid?
Your doctor should start your treatment with the minimum possible dose and gradually increase your dosage according to your health condition. To determine suitable dosages for you, your doctor should examine you properly. Your doctor will prescribe you Dilaudid dosages keeping the following factors in mind:
- Your age
- Your weight
- Your medical condition
- Other health disorders you already have
- How do you respond to the first dose of the medicine
It is essential to take Dilaudid as prescribed by your doctor. Take care of all the instructions and directions given on the prescription or medicine label. Please don’t use it more often than recommended and tell your doctor if you do not observe any improvement in your condition. It is best to avoid medical errors and try to be consistent throughout your treatment.
The following are the usual Dilaudid dosage that your doctor can prescribe you:
Dosage for treating moderate to severe pain
In the form of oral tablets
- For older adults
Older adults’ internal organs might not work correctly; therefore, doctors should be extra careful while prescribing dosages for them.
- For adults
Your doctor will initiate your treatment with 2 mg to 4 mg, which you need to take every four to six hours. Your doctor may further adjust your medicine dose according to your health condition.
- For children
Using Dilaudid for treating patients below 18 years of age is not safe.
Store Dilaudid tablets appropriately at room temperature, away from heat, light, and moisture. Keep Dilaudid tablets out of the reach of the children; they may misuse them. After completing your treatment, you should talk to pharmacists or chemists about the proper disposal of leftover medicine.
What to know before taking Dilaudid?
You need to take care of the following points before using Dilaudid:
- Please take Dilaudid only when your doctor prescribes you for that.
- Health authorities have not approved Dilaudid for patients below 18 years of age.
- Long-term use of Dilaudid can make you physically or psychologically dependent on the medicine.
- Buying or selling Dilaudid without a proper prescription is an offense under the law.
- Avoid taking the said medication if you have taken sedatives or used any MAO inhibitors in the last 14 days.
- Your doctor may not prescribe Dilaudid if you are allergic to it, its components, or similar medications.
- You cannot take Dilaudid if you have the following health issues:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Sleep apnea (breathing that stops while sleeping)
- Blockage in the stomach or intestine
- Bowel obstruction (paralytic ileus)
- To ensure that taking Dilaudid is safe for you, please tell your doctor if you have or ever had the following health disorder:
- Noisy breathing
- Weak or shallow breathing
- Sleep apnea (breathing that stops while sleeping)
- Head injury, brain tumor, or history thereof
- Addiction to drugs or alcohol or part thereof
- Any mental illness
- Mood disorders
- Difficulty in urination
- Damaged liver
- Kidney disease
- Adrenal gland disorders
- Problems in the gallbladder and pancreas
- Thyroid gland disorder
- Breastfeeding might not be safe while using Dilaudid.
- Using Dilaudid during pregnancy can make the newborn physically and mentally dependent on this drug.
- Please tell your doctor about all the medicines you are currently taking.
- Consult your doctor ASAP and ask for medical help if you ever feel uneasy after taking this medication
- In the case of a Dilaudid overdose, you can seek emergency medical assistance by calling the poison helpline at 1-800-222-1222.
- Visit your doctor frequently for regular medical checkups, and remember that taking Dilaudid is only a part of the treatment; follow your doctor’s advice to make the medicine more effective.
- Please don’t start or stop using medicine out of a sudden; otherwise, you may experience certain rebound or withdrawal symptoms.
- Avoid using herbal products, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, or other nutritional supplements while using Dilaudid.
- Doctors should be careful while determining the Dilaudid dosage for the person affected with kidney disorder or liver disease.
- Ask your doctor about all the necessary precautions that you should take while using Dilaudid.
- You can consult your doctor to learn more about Dilaudid’s risks and benefits.
What are the benefits of using Dilaudid?
Using Dilaudid appropriately can help you treat pain ranging from moderate to severe. Your doctor will choose to treat you with this medication when other opioid pain medications do not work well enough.
What are the side effects of Dilaudid?
Using Dilaudid can cause some of the following mild side effects:
- Dizziness or drowsiness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Flushing (redness or warmness in the skin)
- Dry mouth
You may have to tolerate these side effects as they will be okay after a while. Still, suppose you feel these side effects are worsening daily. In that case, please consult your doctor ASAP and ask for medical help. Stop taking medicine and tell your doctor if you experience:
- Rapid heart rate
- Fast pulse rate
- Pain in the chest
- Blurred vision
- Small pupils
- Doubled vision
- Pain in the stomach
- Blocked bowel
- Involuntary movement of the eyes
- Prickling sensation in the skin
- Agitation or nervousness
- Trouble in sleeping
- Fluctuating blood pressure level
- Adrenal insufficiency resulting in tiredness, weak muscles, and pain in the abdomen
- Androgen deficiency results in weakness, difficulty sleeping, tiredness
How does Dilaudid work?
The exact working mechanism of Dilaudid is still a question to answer. Still, some health professionals believe it works by enhancing the functioning of opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord.
What to avoid while using Dilaudid?
Taking Dilaudid can impair your thinking and reactions, and avoid driving and other activities that require attention and alertness. Please don’t drink alcohol while using this medication. It is advisable to buy Dilaudid online only via a legitimate online store.